The much-anticipated opening/regulation of the Danish Gaming market is scheduled for the 1st of January 2012. The Danish Gambling Authority has revealed the initial list of companies that have been approved for Internet gaming licenses (see below).
The Minister of Taxation Thor Möger Pedersen stated: “From January the gambling market will be orderly and we will ensure that holders of a betting and online casino licence to operate on the Danish market also contribute to the society. Danes as well as the many associations supported by the gambling market can be joyful.”
The history of the Danish Gaming started at the turn of the millennium when gaming reached new heights on the Danish market. This development reflects the fact that the majority of Danes now consider gaming as an ordinary entertainment, and that many enterprises employ gaming as part of their promotional strategy.
Apart from the aims of protecting the gambler and combating organized crime, one of the historically most important considerations in the Danish model is to support charitable and non-profit organizations.
The Danish Gambling Authority (DGA) has granted initial licenses to the following holding groups:
- 888 Denmark Limited, Gibraltar
- Betfair International Limited, Malta
- Betsson Malta Limited, Malta
- Bonnier Gaming Malta Limited, Malta
- Cashpoint Limited, Malta
- Cryptologic Operations Limited, Malta
- Danbook Limited, UK
- Danske Licens Spil A/S, Denmark
- Entraction Operations Limited, Malta
- Hillside (Gibraltar) Limited, Gibraltar (Bet365)
- Interactive Sports Limited, Guernsey (Sportingbet)
- Ladbrokes International Limited, Gibraltar
- PKR Technologies Limited, UK
- Reel Denmark Limited, Isle of Man (Pokerstars)
- Unibet Denmark Limited, Malta